Senior Living to the Fullest!
12 tips to live your best life, starting today!
Tip #9 is about Quality Friendships!
Quality friendships are like fine wine – they only get better with time. As seniors enter the golden years of their lives, the value of genuine companionship becomes more pronounced. These friendships often forged over decades, are characterized by a depth that only time and shared experiences can cultivate. Not only do quality friends offer deep emotional support, understanding, and a sense of belonging through shared memories, but they also offer a safe space to express our thoughts, fears, dreams, and more. The laughter shared and the shoulders to lean on contribute to reduced stress levels and an enhanced sense of happiness. These friendships also encourage us to stay active and engaged, embarking on new adventures and experiences together.
Over time, our social groups change and naturally, people enter and exit our life. Odds are, your best friend isn’t the same one you had back in the 8th grade. That’s okay, and completely normal. It’s a big part of the natural process of growing and changing. As we become more complex and our lives get busier, so do the connections we make.
Think On This:
- What are the most/least important qualities you look for in a friend?
- How do your friends support you? How do you support them?
- What makes you a good friend?
- Do you feel energized and happier after seeing your friends?
- When was the last time you told a friend that you love them?
- How can you and your friends strengthen your relationships?
As we go throughout this month, think about the questions above. Reach out to your friends and spend some quality time together. Friends prevent isolation and loneliness and increase our sense of belonging and purpose. Get that much needed boost of happiness by surrounding yourself with your loved ones and enjoy your time together.
Here are a few activities you and a friend can try:
- Cook a meal together, and then enjoy it while watching a favourite show or movie.
- Get outside for a walk, smell the roses, or better yet… people-watch in the park.
- Play games, get crafty, or start a puzzle.
- Take turns planning a friend date, and treat each other.
- Invite them to join in on something at the Village. We have many activities to look forward to throughout September, including the 3rd Annual Country Jamboree, bus outings, presentations, fun and games, and so on. Stay tuned!
In a world that often values speed and novelty, the enduring connections we make serve as a reminder to ground ourselves and slow down to see a world full of meaningful little things. Take a moment to reflect on your past and current friendships and what makes them so special. Take the time to show your loved ones what they mean to you. These relationships bring richness and warmth to our lives that cannot be measured by quantity, but only by the quality of the connections they hold dear.